1. Are we alone in Europe?
2. Viva Espana!
3. Mama Mia!
4. Palaeontologist - scientist or dinosaur hunter?
5. How can a fossil tell a story?
6. How has nature sculpted the past?
7. Does the ground move under our feet?
8. What makes a volcano erupt?
9. Would we ever want extinction?
10. How do volcanoes shape the land?
11. How can life rise from the ashes?
A high-quality text drives each of our enquiries and the texts are used to give knowledge and purpose to the enquiry. High quality texts can only be accessed through knowledge of vocabulary in different tiers. Explicit teaching of new vocabulary and using the classroom environment to showcase key vocabulary helps us to infuse rich and sophisticated vocabulary from EYFS to Year 6. The texts are used as a stimulus for both English and cross curricular writing, ensuring high expectations of our children. Reading is interweaved into all aspects of the enquiry to encourage reading and language development and promote reading for pleasure.
In maths we follow the Power Maths programme to support children’s learning and to build a deep understanding of maths concepts. Power Maths is a curriculum mastery programme designed to spark curiosity and excitement and nurture confidence in maths. It is built around a child‑centred lesson design that models and embeds a growth mindset approach to maths.
This term we are covering the following: