Spring: History Driver
This term, we are going to be learning all about Ancient Romans and Ancient Egyptians.
We will learn about; Chronology through history, Life in ancient civilisations, Gods and Goddesses, Mummification and so much more!The below enquiry overview shows the week by week learning in English, Enquiry and Maths. You can use the overview to see what your child is learning in school each week.
Our weekly enquiry questions are:
- How did the Romans become part of our history?
- What was life like under Roman rule?
- Did everyone believe in the Roman Empire's way?
- The Romans - friend or foe?
- How did the Romans create a society?
- What did the Romans do for us?
- Where did the Egyptians originate?
- Who was more important?
- What did the Egyptians believe?
- Excuse me - How many Gods?
- How did the Egyptians create a society?
- What did the Egyptians do for us?
A high-quality text drives each of our enquiries and the texts are used to give knowledge and purpose to the enquiry. High quality texts can only be accessed through knowledge of vocabulary in different tiers. Explicit teaching of new vocabulary and using the classroom environment to showcase key vocabulary helps us to infuse rich and sophisticated vocabulary from EYFS to Year 6. The texts are used as a stimulus for both English and cross curricular writing, ensuring high expectations of our children. Reading is interweaved into all aspects of the enquiry to encourage reading and language development and promote reading for pleasure.
Spring Key English Texts
In maths, we follow the Power Maths programme to support children’s learning and to build a deep understanding of maths concepts. Power Maths is a curriculum mastery programme designed to spark curiosity and excitement and nurture confidence in maths. It is built around a child‑centred lesson design that models and embeds a growth mindset approach to maths.
This term we are covering the following:
- Calculating perimeter of rectilinear shapes.
- Multiplying and Dividing by multiples of 10 and 100
- Multiplying and Dividing by 0, 1, 6, 9 and 7.
- Learning the 6, 7 and 9 times-tables.
- Problem solving with addition and multiplication.
- Using written methods to multiply.
- Multiplying and Dividing a 2-digit number by a 1-digit number.
- Multiplying and Dividing a 3-digit number by a 1-digit number.
- Multiplying more than two numbers.
- Dividing with remainders.
- Problem solving with mixed multiplication and division.
- Calculating and comparing area.
- Fractions - tenths and hundredths.
- Equivalent fractions.
- Simplifying fractions.
- Calculating fractions which are greater than 1.
- Adding and subtracting fractions.
- Problem solving with fractions.